Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Solar Chargers.. Does price matter?

I brought two different solar changers, the power monkey explorer and a Chinese made one at 11.95 off ebay and claims to have a bigger battery than the Powermonkey by 400mAH. I was impressed how long the powermonkey kept my Sony Ericsson Xperia smart phone alive when it fully charged but I tried to recharge the battery in the sun and its taken a long time to get fuly charged admittedly it been raining and cloudy but the days are still quite long. I would think it would take one whole day of blistering sun to fully charge the battery.

While charging the units outside I forgot about them and they stayed out over night in heavy rain both units had misted up by the morning and the led torch on the cheeper unit was always on. both seem to be working corectly now but its only been a day since they dryed out. I hoping that these two units will keep my Xperia and the Garmin alive. through out the journey.

above Chinese Solar Charger
below PowerMonkey Explorer

The PowerMonkey is by far the most expensive and has a better construction but will the smaller battery life be noticed does the other unit have enough solar area for a battery of that size...

The manual says that 6 hours is enough to charge the power monkey, well we will see certainly not when it raining in england.


Stayed tuned to see how they both preform in the field..

No comments:

Post a Comment