Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Bicycles on european trains



I left Patra by boat at 23:59, it took 32 hours to reach Venice, it was a pleasant trip sailing up the Adriatic back past Albania and Croatia etc. An inquiry at the train ticket office in Venice is where I was told no such journey was possible with a bike to Paris unless it was in a bike bag. I tried to get such a bag in few other city's but Venice isn't a city where there is even a bicycle shop that google knew about.
I got a train to Milan a bigger city with many bicycle shops I was hoping to buy bike bag there but instead of spending money looking about for a suitable bag I jumped on the next train to Geneve, booking this ticket wasn't that simple. After queuing for a little time to buy a ticket he had found a train taking bikes but every time he hit book trip the computer crashed, in the end i was issued with a handwritten slip to produce to the guard on the train for my bike and by 21:00 I  ended up in Geneve via high speed train, while on board I got chatting to nuclear scientist that worked at cern.

I Then booked into cheep hotel in Geneve so i could get 7:41 to London. They could only get me as far as Paris because all the trains are booked out to the UK till after Dec 25 so I guess its a train to Calais and the boat to Dover unless the eurostar bike service is not booked out better give norm a call when I get to Paris.

Location : Chemin des Teppes-du-Biolay, 1281 Russin,

No comments:

Post a Comment